Thursday, February 21, 2008

Law & Order

I've been working hard all week to write a great appellate brief, keep up with my reading, keep up with my supplements so I can understand whatever it is I'm supposed to learn from the reading and keep the laundry done, dishes washed, floor mopped and vacuumed, etc. And it is a lot easier to wash the dishes than to do my Con law reading. Plus I can watch Law & Order while I wash the dishes.

So here's the knowledge I have gleaned from the past twenty minutes of Law & Order. There is a reason why "Law" comes before "Order." The television is sending me a message that studying the "Law" needs to come before putting the dishes and the rest of the house in "Order." Pretty smooth, huh? Maybe I can use this as a justification to Garrett for hiring a maid. If only we could afford it. I guess I'll have to just use the more affordable way to get out of washing the dishes (I don't even understand how we can use so many dishes when it seems like we're hardly ever home!) and buy some paper plates. We all have to make sacrifices to get through school, right? So our sacrifice can be giving up the satisfying feeling of scrubbing every single dish in scalding hot water (That's right, no dishwasher!) until it sparkles. I think my poor dry hands would love that.

That's when I decided that I'd sit down for a minute and see what other revelations I would receive from watching Law & Order. Nothing so far, but it sure is fun. And then back to the brief! I wonder if I will still enjoy these shows when I'm a lawyer. Never mind that I probably won't have time to watch them, but I wonder if I will still feel the same satisfaction in knowing that the criminal has been caught, justice has been done and all is right in the world when I can pick out all the things that would NEVER happen in the real world. For now, I'll enjoy it while I can.

1 comments:

Heather said...

Paper plates are definitely the way to go. Jim and I did that and even had to buy paper bowls (we love cereal). It really makes things a lot easier when you're busy. It's hard to get things done and be happy when you have too much cleaning to do.