Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Adventuras en la jungla!

Yay! I found some photos we had on a CD, so you can be entertained until we home on Saturday. These are from Tortuguero, where we spent the weekend, literally in the jungle. The hotel we stayed in was spread out and more like a bunch of cabins surrounded by rain forest. It was practically impossible for us to fall asleep because during the night, the monkeys were screaming and running across the roof.


This is a caiman. They have caimans and crocodiles in Tortuguero, but no alligators. I think these guys are scary enough.


Every night we could also hear the frogs croaking. This frog is called the Blue Jeans frog. Can you guess why?


And here is a picture of the Red-Eyed Tree Frog. His picture turns up everywhere on things in Costa Rica, so he's pretty famous. And he isn't poisonous.


We loved the monkeys even though they were noisy. Mom liked to sit on the porch outside our door, with her entourage of hotel dogs (pictures of the dogs will have to wait), and watch the monkeys.


In fact, we were so inspired by the monkeys that we decided to zip through the trees just like they do. Here are some funny pictures of us flying down the zip line in the canopy of the rain forest.


We felt perfectly outfitted to work for the electric company. I bet all the monkeys were watching us and laughing, but it was really fun.


And Saturday night we went on the turtle tour to see the green sea turtles nesting. We don't have any pictures of the turtles because no cameras are allowed on the beach. The tour was in the middle of the night. It was really dark and the only person who is allowed to carry a flashlight is the guide. The flashlight only has a dim red light, so it doesn't frighten the turtles away, but there isn't really enough light to see where you're going. So when we went on the turtle tour, the guide said we were a little late and we had to hurry to the beach. We were practically running through the town and the forest and the beach in the darkness, trying desperately to keep up with the guide so we could be closer to the flashlight. Then when we got to the beach, we got to see a turtle laying her eggs. She was 1.7 meters long. I was really surprised that the turtles were so big. We also heard another turtle digging a nest behind us, and we saw another turtle pull herself down the beach and into the sea. It was really a great experience.

Alright...I promise more pictures this weekend! We'll see you soon!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I really like the zip line pictures!! I'm sad you couldn't get pictures of the turtles, but that must have been really neat!! I've seen them on TV, but nothing beats real life.

Anonymous said...

Oh cow!!! You two look like you're having so much fun! I would have loved to zip through the trees. I can't believe the monkeys and animals would be that loud that you couldn't sleep. It's crazy how many animals you've seen and gotten such great pictures of. I cannot wait to hear all about your trip this weekend...We've missed you!!!

Ayrial Johnson said...

It looks like you had so much fun. I've always wanted to take a trip there and go on the zip lines. I've heard it's fun, and so beautiful.