Monday, November 16, 2009

Something old... something awesome!

In my search for amazing vintage Pyrex to add to my collection, Garrett and I have scored some great finds. At first, Garrett was not very excited to spend his Saturday mornings waking up early and driving to estate sales and thrift stores in search of Pyrex. Sleep is very important to Garrett. Garrett loves sleeping more than movies, rocking out on his guitar or playing video games. Garrett can sleep any time, any place, and for any amount of time. So giving up sleeping in on Saturday morning was a big deal for Garrett; however, in our searches, Garrett has found blu-ray movies for $4, "The African Queen" on VHS (for some insane reason, that movie has never been released on DVD), and complete seasons of Seinfeld, The Simpsons and Moonlighting (my favorite). Now that we have substituted an afternoon nap for sleeping in, Garrett is pretty happy to go along and even has a favorite DI.

Last week, Heather fell in love with a beatiful vintage baby bike at a cute consignment shop, but at $150, it was a little out of her budget. Last Saturday, Garrett and I were meandering through DI, and ran into this beauty for $30. And it is in better condition than the pricier one. Heather is thrilled.


Thanks to our early morning trips, my Pyrex collection has expanded beautifully. Most of these pieces were bought at DI, some at estate sales, some at other thrift shops, and a few at consignment shops. Some of my best pieces are hiding in there, but I'm a little too lazy to pull them all out and photograph them for you. I have a few great Fire King pieces, a milkglass batter bowl (which I use to make Garrett waffles), vintage syrup dispensers, a vintage eggbeater, some milkglass vases, and a family of owl trivets hiding in there, too.


I've also picked up some cute vintage Tupperware, a brand new in box fondue set, and a red "You Are Special Today" plate at DI, among other things. My fun vintage Pyrex is definitely my favorite find, and a great backdrop for my knitting. I made these cute little monsters for my sister-in-law's sister (try saying that ten times fast!). I love how the dark pink turned out. Knitted toys look so cute, even though they are so much work! When Garrett and I finally buy a house, I would love to decorate it with vintage pieces. I suppose while we're in this bitty apartment, though, I'll have to be satisfied with my cupboard full of retro goodies.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Cute! I do love my little car. Can't wait to get it all fixed up! Your monster almost looks yellow and dark pink instead of green. Mine looked yellow when I took the picture too... weird.

Jake and Shannon Box said...

I want to go with you sometime!!!! You have found awesome stuff! How fun and good for Garrett!