Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Into the Abyss...

We've had a pretty adventurous past week, which is probably fitting considering that the new Indiana Jones movie also came out this last week. After Arches, our next adventure was Timpanogos Cave. The caves are another amazing Utah wonder that Garrett hadn't seen yet. The downside of being the only one in my family who hadn't been on the tour was that we made Garrett pose for an embarrassingly large number of pictures.


Lanna was great on the hike, both the 1 1/2 mile trek up the steep mountainside and the 1 1/2 mile run down in the pouring rain. Her strong little legs and cheery attitude confirmed our suspicions that she is at least one fourth mountain goat.

We all really loved seeing the cave formations. They have such a delicate beauty, and I think Garrett enjoyed the cave even more than he thought he would.


This is the heart of Timpanogos. At 5 1/2 feet long, this stalactite has only grown about 3/8 of an inch in the last fifty years. Imagine how long it must have taken to grow! I learned on the way down the mountain that Garrett has just such a large and steady heart (how was that for a cheesy transition?!). It had been just one week since I left my nose (pride, and reputation for sure-footedness) in Arches, and Garrett was so worried that I would fall on the way down that he held my arm, switching sides on every switchback, all the way down the mountain in the pouring rain just so I wouldn't impale myself on a sharp, wet rock.
So now the countdown to Costa Rica begins and in one week I'll be leaving on a jet plane. Do you know the way to San Jose? Hopefully Garrett won't be too sad all by himself. Ha, ha, ha.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I like the pictures!!! My shins and behind are sore from that wonderful hike. I was a little nervous on the downhill part too... sheesh! It's a long way down!!!!

Anonymous said...

You guys are troopers. I love your pics and details of your travels. Sorry to hear about your nose mishap :-)

Dad.